CONSIDERING YOUR ROOF TOP TENT AND VEHICLE CAPABILITIES
Fitting a Roof Top tent on your vehicle
Darche tents are produced in sizes and weights to accommodate fitment on most vehicles and trailer arrangements. Standard Passenger vehicles, trucks, vans, soft roaders and 4x4 vehicles - when appropriately sized and fitted, Darche RTT's will have a slight impact on fuel economy. Darche Roof Top Tents are designed to mount simply on most capable after-market and O/E Cross bars and roof racks.
Roof Racks for your Roof Top Tent
Load Rating on a Roof Top Tent
Every vehicle manufacturer has a specified maximum dynamic roof loading weight whilst the vehicle is in motion. We suggest contacting your vehicle manufacturer or dealer for advice on roof load limits and factory installed bars and or racks in relation to Dynamic loads limits in relation to your vehicle. Correctly fitted and quality rack systems transfers the roof top tents weight to structural parts of your vehicles roof , which are designed to withstand a low speed roll–overs in some cases. Consider some factory fitted cross bars and racks systems may not be intended for heavier loads. It is extremely important to note that loads placed on vehicles roof will have an effect on vehicles braking and handling characteristics. We at Darche highly recommend you conduct your own individual research according to your own requirements and circumstances.
The most important factors to consider:
- Your rack system type
- Your vehicles Static and Dynamic roof load rating.
Static weight load: refers to the weight when the vehicle would be stationary
Dynamic weight load: measured whilst a vehicle is mobile and on the move
Australian Standards require roof rack manufactures to rate their racks under Dynamic weight load.
Darche’s roof top tents weigh between 50 and 65 kg.
Most quality Track mount and Gutter mount roof rack systems will accommodate the weight of a Darche roof top tent based on their Dynamic weight load rating.
As the Roof top tent ladder also acts as structural support when the tent is opened and in use, the actual combined static weight load of a roof top tent with two adults on the vehicle can be determined as follows:
Weight of Roof top tent: 55 kg
Weight of Roof racks: 12 kg
Weight of two adults: 180kg
Total weight = 247kg
Approximately 1/3 of the weight is supported by a correctly extended ladder.
Actual total static weight on the roof= 164.6kg
Darche tents are designed to withstand much abuse and hard core situations whilst off road. For continual off-road use we recommend fitting your tent to a gutter mount rack or bar system. This will enable even distribution of the load and reduce vehicle dame under continual heavy off-road use.
We recommend that new Darche swags are thoroughly wet down before first use. This will ensure that your swag or tent performs well in wet weather by allowing the poly/cotton corespun thread and canvas to swell ensuring the take up of any potential leaks in the stitching.
- Do not use soap or detergents on the canvas.
- Do not store the product if wet, allow to dry first.
- To clean use a soft brush and cold water.
- Do not expose to petrol, oils or harsh chemicals.
- Allow mould to dry
- Remove surface mould off with stiff bristle brush
- Vacuum the area
- Treat area with Oil of Clove spray (diluted spray can be purchased or can be mixed using a few drops of oil into a spray bottle of water)
Condensation is a natural occurrence in cold weather. In confined areas like swags and tents the body releases more moisture than the canvas can dispose of. To minimise the chance of condensation, we recommend slightly opening the window of the swag or tent to enable airflow on cold nights.
Sleeping Bag Care
Shell: 100% Polyester. Lining: 100% Polyester. Filling: 100% Polyester.
- Hand wash only.
- Wash seperately in warm water using mild detergent.
- Hand rinse thoroughly.
- To dry lay in shade on flat surface.
- Do not machine wash or dry clean.
- Do not iron.
Maxtreme is a specifically designed and constructed swags canvas used exclusively by Darche in our core range of swags. Darche are of very few that still use a canvas composition in its core range of swags.
- Super strong and durable with its 52 x 48 Ripstop weave
- Maxtreme is constructed using ring spun yarn, allowing maximum breathability aiding in reducing condensation
- Proofed weight is an impressive 550gsm making it one of the heaviest swag canvas weights on the market today
- Proofing is conducted using a double pass dip and dry method, unlike many inferior imported poly/cotton canvases which use a synthetic blade coat PU method which eliminates all cloth breathability characteristics.
- Max-Treme® Canvas: Specifically formulated canvas providing strength, durability, breathability and excellent water resistance used on our core Max-Treme® range of swags.
- Alloy 7001 Support Poles: Made from high tensile alloy, designed not to fade, splinter or be affected by UV break down in Australia’s harsh conditions. Shock corded together for easy fold up and small enough to roll into the swag.
- Foam Mattress: 50mm or 70mm medium high-density foam providing comfort and support while allowing the swag to be rolled compact. The mattress is covered in a polypropylene zippered cover which is easily removed.
- Fly wire UV: Superfine, stabilised, durable heavy weight coated polyester fly wire is less prone to tearing and folding cracks.
- PVC: Combination of polyester base cloth, coated with a PVC compound provides an extremely strong and 100% waterproof material used as flooring on Darche swags and tents.
- Zips: Heavy gauge polyester No. 10, No. 8, No. 5 coil zips ensure hassle free slide action and strength. Meet Australian Standard AS 2332-2006 classifications.
- Siliconised Hollow Fibre: Hollow fibre provides a great air trapping feature which allows body heat to be retained within the bag. With its high loft character
- and great comfort, siliconised hollow fibre is regarded as a leader in sleeping bag fills.
- Zip: No.5 two-way double tab coil, conforms to Australian Standards 2332-2006 classifications.
- Wind baffle: Wind Baffle provides wind & cold protection along zip & seam.
- 3D Collar: Designed to trap warm air within the bag preventing heat escape from the shoulder/neck area.
- Shaped Hood: Designed to prevent heat loss from head area.
- Anti Snag Zip Guide: Added to prevent zip snag along opening.
Dual Zip: Ideal for entry and exit from either side of the sleeping bag, and allows 2 sleeping bags to be joined into 1 supersized bag. The toe zip assists in opening open the sleeping bag as a doona, and can be unzipped for extra ventilation and coolness on warmer nights.
Read more here about Comfort Ratings & Sleeping Bag Selection
If you require further information, contact our customer service team on:
- Phone: 1300 367 695
- Email: email@example.com